We have a situation here, guys. A very good situation.
Involves lots of veggies, rice, chickpeas, and tahini sauce.
Is a mix of salty, sweet, spicy, nutty, herby flavors.
Leaves you feeling satisfied, nourished, and energized.
Raise your hand if you’re with me and need this situation in your life right now? Meet the Moroccan Spiced Veg + Chickpea Bowl with Mango Tahini Sauce.
I’ve had this recipe brewing in my head for months and it finally came together this week. It was an instant hit for our family and I have been so excited to share it with you all.
One thing I love about this meal is it is filling. My husband, who regularly lifts weights and is known as the garbage disposal in our home, requires A LOT of food. On top of that, he eats mostly vegetarian meals. So it’s always a challenge for me to find super filling, plant-based meals. And I did it!
The reason this meal is so filling is thanks to:
- Protein – from the tahini sauce and chickpeas
- Healthy fat – from the tahini sauce and extra virgin olive oil
- Fiber – from the brown rice, chickpeas, and vegetables
These three components will keep those hunger levels in check AND keep those energy levels soaring. Enjoy!
- For the veggies:
- 1 red onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 zucchini, halved and sliced
- 2 Japanese eggplants, halved and sliced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- For the chickpeas:
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili paste (I used sambal oelek)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- For the mango tahini sauce:
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup canned mango slices (in light syrup)
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup water
- Other ingredients:
- Brown basmati or texmati rice
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Red onion, for garnish
- Start by prepping vegetables.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (F).
- When finished washing and chopping vegetables, add them to a 9x13 baking dish.
- Add the coriander, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and olive oil. Toss vegetables in oil and spices, then roast in the oven at 400 F for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender and have burnt edges. You will need to stir them once to ensure even cooking. Take out and let cool when finished.
- Meanwhile, add chickpeas to a separate 7x11 or 9x13 baking dish.
- Add the chili paste, garlic, and olive oil. Toss until evenly coated, then roast in oven at 400 F for 20 minutes. Take out and let cool when finished.
- Prepare mango tahini sauce by adding tahini, garlic, mango, lemon juice and salt to a sauce bowl. Add enough water to reach desired consistency (about ½ cup is needed).
- To assemble each bowl, add ⅓ part chickpeas, ⅓ part basmati brown rice, and ⅓ part roasted vegetables. Top with mango tahini sauce and garnish with cilantro and red onions. Serve and enjoy!
For more bowl recipes, try these favorites: